Monday, March 29, 2010

Almost 40 Realization # 3: I'm Not Going to be on Any "40 Under 40" Lists

The Crain's New York "40 Under 40" list came across my desk today and not that it was a lifelong dream or anything, but it was a reminder that my chances of being recognized for youthful success are...over.

We never seem to want to recognize people's accomplishments for just happening whenever they came together for that particular person. Made CEO at 35? Great. It should be just as great at 55. But instead, we need to create the story out of it - "Reading at age 3!" "Running the Today Show at 25!"

So, if I wasn't destined to be a young prodigy, I have to go the other route, where people do things at a surprisingly old age. Like "Twins at 50!" "Over-40 Olympian!" "Sky-diving Grandma!" and other exclamation point-worthy feats, although to be clear, none of those are things I will EVER, EVER do.

I say, do whatever it is you want to do, whenever it's right for you. Who's counting?

No comments:

Post a Comment